I’m a Nordstrom Vendor? I’M A NORDSTROM VENDOR!!!

IMG_9189Yup, that was pretty much the way my mind processed the information. From the first email from Etsy to the moment my line launched, I morphed from wondering if this was really happening to screaming it from the rooftops.

Several months ago I received an email from Etsy, letting me know that I was one of 5 designers personally chosen by Nordstrom to be included in their Etsy and Nordstrom Present collection. That began 8 weeks or so of behind the scenes work to make the collection,  phone interviews with Etsy for their wholesale platform, and to wade through what seemed like hundreds of pages of compliance and procedures to get set up in Nordstrom’s system as a vendor. I had to keep mum the entire time, which was painful because as soon as I realized I wasn’t dreaming I wanted to tell the world what was happening.

The collection launched two weeks ago, and I was able to travel to the Washington DC Nordstrom to host a trunk show of my collection: IMG_0785photophoto(1)

It has been a surreal experience and I am so thankful to the many people who worked together to make it happen. I’ve met some great folks at Etsy and Nordstrom through the work we did on the project and I am incredibly proud (as if you can’t tell) of how it turned out.  The very first day things began to sell out in store and online, so I’ve put some extra hours in at the butchers block to say the least.

I realize this is absolutely, 100% a “yay me!” post, and I hope you’ll indulge me that. I talk so little about work outside of the blog and my business Facebook page that when I mentioned my line was picked up by Nordstrom, a long time friend asked “What do you mean? What line? What do you sell?”. I promise less self-aggrandizing posts in the future, but for now… Ahhhh! My stuff is for sale at Nordstrom!!!!exn - Copy

7 Comments on I’m a Nordstrom Vendor? I’M A NORDSTROM VENDOR!!!

1. Chrissie Des-Forges
    June 25, 2013 at 2:03 pm (1 year ago)

Well done Sarah, you deserve the accolade and you can shout from the rooftops now that you are a Nordstrom Vendor. I just love your gifts and household items but wish I could visit your boutiques as viewing on the website is not the same. I was interested in some of your beautiful bags but not sure what the procedure is for paying the VAT for delivery into the UK; any ideas?

• milkandhoneyluxuries
      June 25, 2013 at 2:13 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Chrissie, thank you for writing and for your kind words. I agree with you on preferring to hold and handle clothing and accessories before buying them. It’s so hard to know if it’s really ‘you’ until you get your hands on it. Because of this, I am always willing to accept returns if something ends up not being what a customer had wanted.
      The UK has a very low threshold for the VAT tax. The last I checked, it was right around 15 quid and a 8 pound Royal Mail tax on top of the VAT tax. Also, it has been hit or miss with my UK customers on whether their post includes shipping cost in the value or not. One tool I have found very handy is this import calculator: http://www.dutycalculator.com/help_center/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-the-United-Kingdom/
      Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
      Best,
      Sarah

• Chrissie Des-Forges
        June 25, 2013 at 2:52 pm (1 year ago)

Hi again Sarah, thank you for your prompt reply and the extremely useful website. I had a quick look and will actually call HM Customs too for advice and cost as it may not be viable to pay half the cost again in VAT and even more for the shipping cost. Maybe one day you may sell your products in Harrods or similar. Best wishes
        Chrissie

2. blogaboutgod
    June 25, 2013 at 2:06 pm (1 year ago)

Congratulations!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone

3. susansbean
    July 4, 2013 at 10:17 am (1 year ago)

Wonderful work! I just found you via a pinterest post that lead to “cool mom picks” blog post.

• milkandhoneyluxuries
      July 5, 2013 at 11:35 am (1 year ago)

Thank you so much! I love writing and wish I had more time to give to the blog. At the moment it ends up being just big announcements and the occasional “life” post, but I do hope to get back into tutorials and fun things like that.